Skip to main content

Wishlists for James

As many parents who have children with special needs know, it is sometimes very hard to find or buy supplies for our kids that we can afford. As such, if you know of people who are disposing the following items either through donations or discounted prices, do let us know. We would appreciate the help very much. 

All photos you can see here are:
1. Formulas for tube-feeding that would greatly help James get the special nutrition he needs
2. Special needs equipment that would make him more comfortable and which would help us take care of him better

*items are updated as the need for them arise


Pediasure Complete Balanced Nutrition Powder -- This is James' regular food since he got his gastrostomy tube. Pediasure now costs PhP849.00 for 900g and only lasts for about 5 days. If anybody out there could refer us to somebody from Abbott Philippines who can help us buy several cans of this at discounted rates, we would be very, very grateful.

Nutren 1.0

Resource Just for Kids w/ or w/o Fiber -- James' stomach tolerates the Vanilla flavor. We have been given several of these before and it agrees very much with him.


Resource Just for Kids 1.5Cal - We love this formula because at 225ml, a tetra pack can already provide James 355 calories!


Duocal Powder - This is a high-calorie, protein-free, lactose-free, gluten-free powdered food that can be used orally or in tube feedings. Duocal Powder provides fat and carbohydrate for increased caloric intake.


Polycose Powder - This is an easily digestible source of carbohydrate calories for use when additional calories are required.


Elecare Powder - This is another complete food formula.


Ensure Powder - Since James turned 10, we were advised by our gastroenterologist to change his formula to Ensure. But due to budget constraints (Ensure is almost twice as expensive as Pediasure), we still can't afford to make the switch :/


Kangaroo pump sets - Several friends from the US have donated their extra pump sets to James. Although the Kangaroo Pet Pump donated to us went bust, we still use these for gravity feeding. These bags are just like those IV bags at the hospital with a roll-on control valve. The end goes to the connecting tube for James' Bard button.


Zevex Infinity bags for James' Zevex Infinity Pump



Bathing chair - This model is the Wenzelite but we would appreciate any kind of bathing chair that could help ease the task of giving James a bath. He's now quite long and heavy and it's hard to hold him with only one hand while the other scrubs.


Vest harness - We are looking for this type of harness that would enable us to sit James on a regular chair without him falling down.


Big Kid Car Seat - Shown in the photo is a Recaro but we are not choosy. Any brand will do as long as James can fit in it. He is fast outgrowing the Irdy car seat he's using now (that's where he sits at home and during car rides) and we have no quick ideas how we can acquire a replacement which we actually need now.


TAOS Walker - After seeing the videos at the TAOS website, we are very hopeful that James will be able to "walk" someday with the help of this walker. More info at http://www.taoswalker.com/. Watch the website's featured video. James' stance/posturing is exactly like that of the African-American boy there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am The Child

I am the child who cannot talk. You often pity me, I see it in your eyes. You wonder how much I am aware of — I see that as well. I am aware of much — whether you are happy or sad or fearful, patient or impatient, full of love and desire, or if you are just doing your duty by me. I marvel at your frustration, knowing mine to be far greater, for I cannot express myself or my needs as you do. You cannot conceive my isolation, so complete it is at times. I do not gift you with clever conversation, cute remarks to be laughed over and repeated. I do not give you answers to your everyday questions, responses over my well-being, sharing my needs, or comments about the world about me. I do not give you rewards as defined by the world’s standards — great strides in development that you can credit yourself; I do not give you understanding as you know it. 

Two Kinds of Parents

Got this as a forwarded email ... a lot of these apply to my own family. == Moms, a stranger walks among you. We look like regular moms, but we are the hybrid to your standard engine. Our child's disability altered us, enhanced us. Many words describe us: resilient, creative, protective, emboldened, sympathetic, fierce and determined. We are special needs moms. How do our lives stand apart from your own? Take a look under the hood and see for yourself. Regular Parents vs Special Needs Parents by Dawn Villarreal , One Place for Special Needs , May 2010 Regular parents tell their kids to wake up and get dressed in the morning. And they do it. Special needs parents put on battle gear to get our kids ready to start their day. Regular parents ask their kids if they brushed their teeth. Special needs parents prompt, “Brush your top teeth.  Brush your bottom teeth. Did you get the sides? Open your mouth. My God, give me that toothbrush! You’ve left half your mea

A Wonderful Story for Easter

This is a great read that is perfect for reflecting for this coming Holy Week . My co-egroup member Julie gave me permission to share her story. Please prepare some tissues for some happy tears :) ==== Unexpected Blessing  By: Julie J. Hunter  His name was Aaron , and I will never forget him. I was 16 years old and trying to hold down two jobs and finish my high school education. I babysat after school and on the weekends. My new job was an unbelievable opportunity. I was going to be the Easter Bunny at my local mall. Yes, you just read the words; I was the Easter Bunny. This opportunity was one of the most interesting jobs that I have ever had in my life. I mean, think about it I was being paid to "bounce"around the mall in a 7-foot fur covered rabbit suit, bringing smiles and giggles to children and adults of every age. Little did I realize that this job, this moment in my youth, would be one of the most rewarding of my life.  photo borrowed from costum